What happens after Webex?

edited June 17 in General

Now that Cisco have realized that it has been giving away stuff for free they of course want users to start paying for the Webex meeting system. Not entirely unreasonable, I agree, but somewhat annoying to us.

From July they will limit the free conferences to 50 minutes, as an "incentive" to pay up.

Maybe we should consider using alternative web conferencing? I presume that you're not stopped from immediately starting another conference, so continuing with webex is a possibility.

As most people I've been using video conferencing tools to keep in touch at work and with friends and family. I've come to like Jitsi a lot, an entire open-source and free system. The software is supported by a commercial company but they don't seem to be in a hurry to charge for it - I think they may charge customers for support on their own in-house meeting servers.

Like webex you do not need to have an account to use the system, not even just as an identifier when you connect to a meeting room. Rooms are created as soon as you open the URL, and can be password protected. Jitsi suggests a name but that is entirely up to you whether you want to use it or not.

There's an app for your phone, or try it at https://meet.jit.si/ or direct to a room https://meet.jit.si/hpcc

Comments

• Jitsi would work for me, but bear in mind that at peak times they might struggle to provide a high quality service.

It's worth recognising that some people are allergic to Zoom - although in my experience it's still the best free offering, for quality, but again it has a 40 min time limit.

Google Meet is workable, it's free, needs no account, and has no time limit. I found the quality slightly worse than Zoom.

Having said all that, I thought I saw that the HPCC has significant funds, so paying for Webex might be the best solution.

• HPCC have purchased a Webex subscription for the next year, so we will continue to use that.

Regards,

Mark